Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day

I was 26 years old when I realized that I had no idea how my Grandparent's met. Ironic, since I was recently divorced at that point. Longing for a love story; I asked my Grandmother. Innocently enough, my Grandparents met while they were BOTH serving our country. I suppose I never asked her earlier because I thought she'd be too sad to answer me.

I was in eighth grade when my Grandpa died. It was a blur. I sang at his funeral, even though it felt like I was just moving my lips...I guess people liked it, even though I really didn't care. I don't remember crying that much because I knew he was really sick. I was happy that he wasn't hurting anymore. His arms were marked with tattoos, showing his time in the service and age all at the same time. His voice rasped from smoking cigarettes everyday of service to his country, a habit that died shortly before he did. He spent lots of time at the VFW, where his brothers and friends were, as well as his safe-haven to drink whatever he wanted.

My Grandma, and mom would always give him a hard time about his drinking... I remember that much. I didn't understand what the big deal was, even at a young age. He wasn't hurting anybody, he provided for his family, and I certainly didn't remember him being boligerant. I can only imagine the things that man saw in his days served.... I probably would've drank it away too.


Nonetheless, I gathered some pictures from my Grandma's basement the last time that I was able to visit. In honor of Veteran's Day, I am posting them for you to see. I couldn't find any of my Grandfather in uniform. My dad was in the Air Force as well, I don't have any pictures of him in uniform either. I need to get on that, seriously.

This newspaper clipping is one of my favorites. The Postmaster General honored women of the armed forces by placing them on a U.S. postage stamp. My Grandmother was the representative for the Army (I wish I could find those stamps). She is pictured the second from the left. PFC Lillian M. Petruch.



Here is my Grandma and Grandpa with my mom as a baby. They were certainly ahead of times flying in a de-pressurized aircraft-ugg.


Here is my Grandma...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos - what an amazing little piece of history. Your grandfather sounded like a right character, as we say in Glasgow.

My Grandad was a flight lietenant in the RAF, stationed in Madagascar, during WW2 - I got the chance to interview him for a school history project, and I really wished I had kept a copy because the stories he told were amazing and as he died a few years ago (at the age of 92!) he's not around to ask anymore.